Well this has been a journey.
I have looked all over for help with this but just keep drawing a blank.Â Anyway it is either so easy that no one else could be bothered to write it down, or I am terminally dumb.Â Either way I decided to share what I worked out.
I have set up a demo page here. Â (sorry about the ssl nag...)
Work your way along the buttons from left to right.Â As you go you will:
- Log in into your Google docs account
- Check to make sure you are logged in,Â This should display your login token.
- Debug your login, this should show you that you are logged into two scopes (one for docs, one for spreadsheets)
- Create a Spreadsheet in your google docs account.
- Look up that sheet (to get its unique ID) (this also adds a heading to the top of the first column)
- Append a row to your sheet.Â (you should see the time being added to the first column each time you click the button)
- Logout to revoke the access from my webpage to your google docs account.
Just view the page source to see how it was (badly) done.
I offer no warranty, if this webpage crashes your dog or eats your car,Â don't blame me.
If anyone is bothered and/or interested I will go thru the code line by line with some real explanations.Â Leave a comment if you want me to put the time and effort in.
Update 10/01/2011. Â Fixed this as Google now require https for all Doc API calls. Â Makes sense really. Â Because of the requirement for ssl I have updated the link ftom this post to use SSL to avoid the mixed secure and insecure content issues.